Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:25:36 EST
<<the upshot of almost a year's worth of counseling for all involved is
this...he believed his parents' love was conditional on his
behaviour..........I just wanted to address this issue of coercion and how it
is possible for a child to nurse even if that isn't his wish.  I wouldn't
have believed it if I hadn't had this experience.  I hope this isn't what is
going on, but I just think, it is within the realm of possibility>>

This often happens with the sexual abuse of a child in which the child
submits to the abuse in order to win approval and love as well as be the
peacemaker.  The desire to be loved and to have the approval of parents can
be very powerful.  I have never thought of this with the nursing child,
because I view a older nursing child as normal. But, I can see with a certain
personality child, he could be coerced to win this approval and love.
Reminds me of the wisdom of LLL when nursing an older baby, "Don't offer, but
don't refuse."

Warm regards,
Pat Lindsey, IBCLC - Lactation Services
Pediatrics Plus Staff LC & Private Practice
Orlando, FL