From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 1997 08:21:46 -0800
Two hospitals I know of have similar systems to those of clothing and
department stores (no, not the permanent dye things).  They use metal bands
on the babies' identification tags and have entry/exit monitors that bleep
a very loud alarm when babies pass through.  Mom's and babies' bands are
also color coded.  One of my BIG problems with this whole debate is that
maybe we shouldn't be having low risk babies in hospitals at all.  I have
done research in this area and co-authored a paper "Birth Choices, the Law,
and MEdicine:  Balancing Individual Freedoms and Protection of the Public's
Health,"  in J. Health Politics, Policy and Law, 19(4): 1994 (I can send
you a reprint if you'd send a SASE-2stamps).  The results of this and MANY
other studies show that attended home births are safer for low and even
moderate risk ob cases. Given the superb follow-up I have seen with
midwives on lactation, I have to wonder why we don't ask the question of
"Why in hospitals?"  This is excentuated by the nosocomal infection
(infections aquired in hospitals) issue.
WarmLLLy,
Chris
SASE to:  Dr. Chris Hafner-Eaton 1807 NW Beca, Corvallis, OR 97330

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )             **CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**