From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:53:27 -0400

>I agree with  Pam Hirsch that hand expression is better than the best
>pump.  I do try to teach every client how to hand express milk, just in
>case.  When we had a blackout last summer, three different exclusively
>pumping women came to my office to learn how to hand express.

I think every mother should learn to hand express, but I find pumping a
difficult issue. I know moving in quickly with a hospital grade electric
makes a lot of sense, but at the same time it interferes with the
natural learning curve as we explore how the breast works with the baby.
Hand expression reinforces the learning process.It helps her to become
knowledgeable as well as comfortable handling her breasts, and is part
of a continuum that moves from supporting breasts during feeding through
relieving engorgement and plugged ducts and then through breast
compression.

Jo-Anne