Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:21:30 EDT
Liz points us to this article:
Freezing does not kill off yeast in human milk.  Breastfeeding Atlas 2nd ed
at p. 58, citing Rosa, C. et al., Yeasts from human milk collected in Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil, Rev. Microbiol 1990; 21(4):361-363.

Has anybody read the article or does someone have it in English?  I tried to
track it down, and we could only find it in Portugese.  I'd like to know what
the bottom line was.  While freezing may not kill of the yeast, were babies
reinfected with it?

Seems to me (I'm sure someone will be very quick to correct me if I'm wrong)
that there was a study done just recently in which the only way yeast could be
cultured from milk was if iron was added to the milk exogenously.  Apparently
the lactoferrin in the milk killed it...

Perhaps I read the study incorrectly, but seems to me there shouldn't be a
problem w/ nursing.  After all, we have the babies nurse during a yeast
infection -- unless of course, there are some here that are recommending moms pump &
dump during an outbreak.  Yes?  No?

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, RLC
Wheaton, Illinois
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com