Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 11:50:51 EST
The question was raised about feeding breastfed babies formula once in a
while. The short one page statement on this came from the following source:

Vnuk A: Just one bottle…Breastfeeding Review 1993; II(No.8):358

The harm in just one bottle extends not only to the possibility of inducing
an allergy to cow's milk but also as the triggering event of diabetes in a
susceptible family. There is an enormous amount of data on the problems with
infant formula - I know, I have file drawers full of it and lecture on this
topic constantly. What happens if the formula also has genetically engineered
ingredients in it too, like several US formulas contain. The hazards then are
extended to novel toxins, new allergens, and more antibiotic resistant
bacteria. Once you push down the first domino, they rest just keep falling.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA