From:
Doraine Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:47:39 PST
Loyann Writes:

Mom has an eight-week old baby at home and returned to work today.  She
had made advance arrangements with her supervisors that she would pump
during the normal work breaks.   She planned to pump in her office for
privacy and convenience,  as her office has electrical
outlets and the bathroom does not.

Now the  supervisors are telling her that these arrangements are "no
longer possible" and if she must pump,  she will have to pump in the
bathroom. Her husband claims that the employers are mad at her because
she was on bed rest early in her pregnancy and took an eight-week
maternity leave instead of the customary six.  He feels that they will
now harrass her and try to make her life miserable.

I would appreciate any suggestions from Lactnetters about what these
parents might do next.

Okay Loyann, here you go....

-- Were the advance arrangements in writing?  Can she try to get further
information on why the advance arrangements are no longer satisfactory?

-- Are there specific company policies the employers are citing in this
case?  How big is the company -- could mom discuss the issue with Human
Resources or Equal Employment Opportunity Council?

-- Are there any other women working for this company who have been
pregnant or have breastfed?  Any input or sympathetic voices from the
mom's co-workers?

-- I'm assuming you are in the U.S.  We have specific laws to protect
women's rights to reproduction and employment.  If she had a physician's
order for bed rest during pregnancy, her lost work time is significantly
less costly to the company that the legal bills they would face for
pregnancy complications or loss.  The Family Medical Leave Act also
protects her -- up to 12 weeks leave time.

-- I assume she was in contact with her employers during her maternity
leave?  They must have approved the 2 week extension.  Do they feel she
is taking advantage of them?  How can she demonstrate her loyalty and
commitment to the company in a way that can soften the situation?

-- Will they allow her to run an extension cord from the bathroom to the
nearest outlet?  She would need to do this in order to use an electric
pump.

-- How do her co-workers feel about breastfeeding?  Would they be likely
to complain if she pumped in a 'public' area (the bathroom, with an
extension cord out the door) vs. her own office?

-- If mom has good pumping technique and no problems with milk supply so
that she could pump while doing other things, if she pumps in her office
she could still answer the phone, read over paperwork, etc. (After all,
doesn't M****a make a bra with special attachments for just such a
situation?)  (Not that I'm particularly advocating this -- just another
idea).

-- Reinforce that mom will be MORE productive if she is allowed to pump
in her own office.  She will be more likely to have fewer sick absences
re: infant illness and own illness.  This is also less of a drain on
Group Health Benefits if paid for by the company.

Although there are legal protections for women and worksites, sometimes
it takes a lawsuit (and hence a lot of money) to get them enforced.  If
this mom has had a good track record with the company and is a valuable
employee, it is in their best interest to retain her (I hope she has an
important job if she is lucky enough to get an office with a DOOR!).

Sometimes things just get miscommunicated, too.  I'm sure that mom and
dad were both very upset.  Clearer heads can often sort things out.
Take a deep breath and smile!

Good Luck!

--Doraine Bailey