From:
Paula R Hiett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 19:47:32 -0500
Hi all,
 I am a hospital based RN IBCLC.  I work in a lactation center owned by
the Medical Center, and I see every newborn at 7 days old, and any newborn
that the mom, MD, or Staff feel need seen earlier.  I do document on a
medical record for every client. But... I only send emailed or faxed
reports to the HCP if there are medical concerns that will impact their
care of the dyad.
 If I am providing basic guidence with latch, position, ect.. the md's
don't want to have memos about that. They consider that the reason they
are at the Center.  If there are weight loss issues, low supply, obvious
jaundice, symptoms of mastitis or yeast, these things they want to know
about and what I have advised the mom to do(and sometimes it is
contradicting to what the HCP told the mom).
  What would be the point in generating hundreds of reports that
read "assisted with positioning and latch on to improve comfort and milk
transfer" ?  All 15 of our area pedi's and many of the ob's refer
lactation concerns to us, and have often called to ask about current care
for lactation problems or medication references .  They have learned that
when I call or write to them about a client, it is a significant concern.
I beleive that if I flooded them with brief reports of normal lactation
care, they would begin to ignore the more important issues that do need
their attention.
 It may boil down to the fact that I have worked hard over the last 14
years to gain their respect, and demonstrate a professional ability to
practice in my specialty. I would not really wish to devalue the
relationship we enjoy now.

** More input from the less and less silent 3000 ****
Paula Hiett RNC, IBCLC
Good Shepherd Lactation Center