From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:17:25 +0200
Welcome back, Katharine.  You may have let things lie a little too long in
one respect - keeping the alphabet soup straight!
ILCA is the International Lactation Consultant Association, to which anyone
at all may belong.  All who wish to subscribe to JHL must join, for example.
Having a current IBCLC credential is not a requirement, nor is it ILCA that
confers this credential.
IBLCE is the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, the body
that writes the exam, administers it, corrects it, and confers the
credential IBCLC on those who have passed it.
While I may be mistaken, I am guessing it was not ILCA's attorney, but
IBLCE's who advised you that the letters IBCLC refer only to currently
certified persons under the rules of IBLCE.  ILCA would be unlikely to care
enough to use whatever legal resources at its disposal, to follow up
something that is IBLCE's turf.  IBLCE, on the other hand, is very much
concerned with keeping its credential in the possession of those defined as
being entitled to it.

ILCA's officers are elected by membership vote, and it is an international
organization whose mission is "To advance the profession of lactation
consulting worldwide through leadership, advocacy, professional development,
and research."  It does not function the way a union does, because it
operates in so many jurisdictions with different legal sanctions concerning
practice.  It does have NGO status with UNICEF and WHO, and several other
fora.  There is an ILCA representative at IBLCE.  I refer to ILCAs website
for more information, www.ilca.org

IBLCE's mission is "To certify, by means of an independent internationally
recognized examination, individuals who demonstrate their competence to
practice as IBCLCs, RLCs, providing quality care to babies and mothers
worldwide."  For more on that, see www.iblce.org .  I see that they are
calling for nominations for three elected positions, though it is the board
itself that elects its members from those nominated (presumably by IBCLCs
who have an opinion on this).  IBLCE is not a board of representatives
chosen by 'members'.  The composition of the board is described at the
website, listing the organizations who each have a permanent representative,
and then there are elected members who are not sent by an organization, as
described above.

I am not commenting on the other content of Katharine's post, only pointing
out the differences between ILCA and IBLCE.

Cheers
Rachel Myr (IBCLC, midwife, (and nurse, actually), and mother-to-mother BF
counselor with Ammehjelpen, and BA, and BSN, but no longer RN, as I no
longer live in the US and have let my nursing license lapse, though I am
licensed to practice nursing in Norway)
Kristiansand, Norway