From:
Laura Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 1999 23:12:05 -0500
Hello All!

I need your help for a personal dilemma.
When I see women with their breasts bond, I cringe, and advise them to
take the binder off.

For some reason, which I can not document, I believe this practice of
binding breasts:

1) Is dangerous to breast tissue, and can cause permanent damage.

2) May set the woman up for Mastitis/Abscess.

3) Is unnecessary.....(more on this later)

4) May make a later decision (post discharge) to breastfeed obsolete.
Like when at 3 weeks baby has consistently had problems with all ABM
tried.

However, I have been discussing with a colleague. the fact that a very
breastfeeding friendly hospital in my area has a POLICY that all women
deciding not to breastfeed must be bound.

Does anyone else have strong feelings against breast binding?
Can you tell me why you feel the way you do?

Also.....
If we caution women to get baby to breast as soon after delivery as
possible.... We caution women to feed on demand and not delay
feedings.... We encourage pumping moms to maintain as much physical
contact as possible, and no to be overly alarmed when they see a
reduction in supply....

Why do we assume an unstimulated, unemptied breast will automatically
become engorged?

I know we have discussed making breastfeeding seem "too easy"...
but lately, I have been feeling like we are making breastfeeding "too
difficult". If we are constantly warning about all the negative things
that can happen, what differentiates us from the "gloom and doom"
information distributed by the ABM manufacturers?

I am struggling to continue with my practice of explaining the basic
latch and positioning,  discussing how breastfeeding is the Normal,
Natural way to feed a baby, and giving my number in case any questions
come up.

 I could plant that first seed, "Even the Breastfeeding woman said it
would be hard".... by saying, if you have a problem, call me.

I prefer to say, if you have any questions, or feel like something is
not right....

Of course, if the woman has had difficulties in the past, we discuss
that in more detail.....

Any comments or suggestions?

Laura Wright
Jackson, MS