From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:33:19 +0000
Oh no!  Both the in-Laws were aware (you know what it's like, when
you're tense about it, you keep looking for it!).  My friend _knew_
there was something wrong, but she couldn't quite work it out...  of
course, it was the poncho that caused it, for she'd not fastened up
properly, as she had flapping material on her.

And then she bought a tartan sling, to carry the baby around the
in-law's home town in, utterly unaware that she was causing
mortification to her elderly mother-in-law, as babies strapped in tartan
shawls on the back and side of the Mum, was a sign of extreme lower
working class women, too poor for prams (fishwives).  So there was my
friend, jaunting all over the place, completely unaware of the hidden
messages in hints about using a buggy the MiL was giving her.  And her
the Minister's Wife, an'all!

Makes it sound long ago - but her kids are 5 and 3!  Although the
in-laws were in their 70s.  Lovely couple in all other ways, just
completely flabber gasted by this new-fangled breastfeeding,
baby-wearing stuff.  Although, of course, neither were new-fangled.  It
was decent women being able to afford otherwise, doing it, that was new
fangled!

I do remember babies being carried on backs in tartan shawls, by the
women in the slums behind our house.  I was always fascinated by it, and
how come the babies didn't fall out?  I asked an elder female relative
to explain how to do it, once, and she showed me, but I forget the
technique.  Every women did it sometimes in the home - for it was what
you did with 'hinging' weans, who were poorly and demanding constant
cuddles.  You bundled them in the shawl, and clamped them to you hip. so
you could 'get on'... but you didn't do it 'outside'.  Just like you
always wore a coat outside, in case someone thought you were so poor you
didn't have one.

Morgan