From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 11:05:34 -0500
In a message dated 2/17/2004 1:13:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> You ask, "Do any of you have any ideas for a hands-on teaching
> strategy illustrating the difference between the breast and bottle in a baby's
> mouth?"  From the sounds of your question, I figure you think there is a difference.
> All bottle-feeding is not the same, and I would like to suggest that it is
> not fair to lump all bottle-feeding into something negative.

Amen! If it was such an issue, a lot fewer mothers of multiples would ever make it with long-term BF, e.g. the few with ideal or almost ideal BF initiation. (And there aren't many of them!)

And didn't Michael Woolridge, PhD, look at radiographic data and report on this? I attended and vividly remember his lecture at a mid-90s ILCA conference that reinforced all that Dee mentions in her post. Has really helped keep a lot of MOT/MOM going that I've worked with since.

>       For more information, please read "Bottle-Feeding As A Tool To
> Reinforce Breastfeeding" in the Feb. 2002 issue of JOURNAL OF HUMAN LACTATION.  If
> you don't have access to the JOURNAL, you can contact me
> privately for a
> reprint.

Did they remove this wonderful article from ILCA's web site? I hope not. To check if still there, go to: www.ilca.org/ Click on Publications in the left column. Scroll down the Publications page until the article description/title and link appear. (I'm gonna be really unhappy if this article has been removed.)

Karen