From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Mar 2012 14:39:12 -0500
Dear Linda and others:

I TOTALLY agree with you that there are MANY different helpers that can improve breastfeeding.  In fact, I have written before about how a Peace Corps chauffeur in Niger did a better job than anyone I have ever seen in doing a weaning foods demonstration.  Hands down superior to any health educator I've ever seen.

Nevertheless, I think the problem here is false advertising on two levels:

1) Another JD, IBCLC was really pissed that she was told by someone who did the training that the CLC training is the same thing as the IBCLC training only the CLC was international.  That is patently false and she was really angry about it.  I am sure that many who are CLC instructors are not as deceptive as this particular instructor was.

2) The number of CLCs who come out of the training program CLAIMING they are CONSULTANTS who have never ever had any clinical training instead of rightly explaining that they are COUNSELORS.

This gives parents false perceptions about what they are receiving.

As far as I am concerned, the bulk of the complaints I receive from parents come from the false claims of a higher levels of skills.

So, yes, the false claims of the formula industry are worse. Nevertheless, we should not tolerating this among our colleagues.

Yes, there are those who are jealous about someone charging $300 an hour after a five day course.  There are those who are resentful about having to mop up after poorly trained CLCs and even IBCLCs.  It is a drag.

I think it is appropriate that EVERYONE be specific and truthful about the training they received.  Unfortunately, I find that there is rampant abuse of that among SOME CLCs.

Sincerely,

Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC