From:
Loraine Hamm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:10:18 +1200
Hi
I am a bit late in coming into this discussion but here is my 2c worth.
I am a SLT/IBCLC and have dealt with a few babies who did not want to eat
solids and the mother really needs someone like an SLT/OT with knowledge
about feeding issues and breastfeeding.

Firstly it would be very unusual for a baby who breastfeed so well to not be able
to transfer food to the back of his mouth and swallow it.  In all the babies I have
seen only one was really not able to manage food and she started doing so
once her tongue tie was released, but never able to breast or bottlefeed
so would be unusual for this baby to have a restrictive tongue tie.

The other babies' issues have all been more
behavioural. Forcing a baby to eat ANYTHING is really never a good idea
 because one thing a baby can do is refuse to eat and it can take a lot of time
before they will trust the parent again if they have been forced.

Babies are just so clever they always amaze me more. I have worked with a
baby for several months and she will bring a toy to her mouth but if it is food
 she will not, so bringing toys to the mouth is no guarantee that that will be
 extended to food.

Gagging is a response to the new experience of texure moving over the
tongue. We do not see this in all babies, but I see it often in babies who
may have a bit more oral sensitivity e.g. babies with reflux, they just seem
so much more sensitive and gag and spit out for a long time.

Unless food passes over the tongue for some time the tongue will not
 become  desensitized. So if the baby accepts food into his mouth and
gags that's not the time to freak out and stop, but just keep going calmly,
the baby will spit the food out if he cannot manage and even then little bits
will pass over the tongue to ensure that desensitisation starts,
so next time there may be less gagging.

Finding one thing the baby will accept and usually it needs to be in his hand and
on his terms is usually the first challenge.  A cracker or plain biscuit that has a melt in the
mouth consistency has frequently been a first for many of the babies I worked with.
Does the baby accept a toothbrush, will he bring a spoon or cup to his mouth. Those
actions also give opportunities for tasting and enjoying food on their own terms.

Loraine Hamm
New Zealand