From:
Elizabeth Swift <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2010 12:56:17 -0400
That's great news.  Glad that things look like they are improving.  Hopefully you'll be able to relax and just be grandma soon.

I agree with you that babies need to be growing from the first.  I just get concerned when we step in too quickly with multiple interventions based on weights from several different scales. That concern comes in part from knowing that my own daughter's weight would have raised multiple eyebrows these days even though she was really doing just fine and actually gained quite clearly once she was being weighed on a consistent scale. Obviously, you were also seeing some signs in your grandson that told you he really did need a little extra food.  Hopefully, once the tongue tie is taken care of a little extra effort will get the milk supply up to where it needs to be as well.

Breastfeeding early on is such a confidence game.  Hopefully you can exude a calming presence and provide the encouragement that your DIL needs.  I'm sure that you are proud of your son for insisting (as I'm sure his mommy taught him very early on) that bottles of formula were not the first go to solution.  How nice that your DIL is breastfeeding because she wants to not because she feels pressured to.

I'm sure that in no time at all you'll all simply be able to be enjoying this lovely need addition to the family.  Have fun being a grandma.  It is a wonderful experience.