From:
Mary-Jane Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:29:35 EDT
Dear Lactnetters,
What is the general consensus on the need for a c-section mom to begin pumping
if baby is not going to breast after day 2?  Is the baby kangarooing and
repeated attempts to get him to latch enough stimulation to raise prolactin
levels sufficiently to ensure an adequate milk supply?  If baby did manage to
breastfeed one or two times after the birth before he became sleepy,
frustrated, or whatever and started refusing to latch on, do you think the mom
has a better chance of getting him to breast with or without pumping?  I would
not want to exhaust an already tired and frustrated mom with pumping and
feeding ebm if the outcome is not justified.  I usualy see these moms on day 5
as a VNA mother/baby nurse and would like some guidance on how
reluctant/sleepy/refusing babies could better be helped in the hospital.   The
last mom I saw with this scenario obtained a hospital pump at my suggestion
and started pumping, giving ebm via Advent bottle (her choice), and the baby
did eventually go to the breast well after four days.  He had lost 12% of his
birth weight at hosp. discharge, the day before I saw him and had stayed the
same on day 5. Thank you for your assistance.
 Mary-Jane CD(DONA), RN, CCE,
 Labors of Love Doula Services
 Pittsfield, Massachusetts