From:
"G. Hertz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 03:17:45 -0700
.> Jo-Anne writes:
A physician told a mother
> that her bf problems may be due to the fact that she had too much
> amniotic fluid and that might have caused digestive problems. (Baby is
> colicky, but stooling frequently; I'm thinking not enough high-fat milk
> in the mix or possibly diet.) I do need to tell her something, though.
> The only thing I could think of was the possibility of suctioning and
> oral aversion>

Jo-Anne,

The only relationship that I am aware of is that problems with the digestive
system (decreased swallowing or decreased absorption by the GI tract -
duodenal atresia, tracheo-esophageal fistula) cause polyhydramnios
(increased fluid).
About 500ml is swallowed by the fetus per day, while about 600ml is created
by fetal urine production.

I'd put my money on oversupply and start with having mom limit to one breast
per feed.

Gail S. Hertz, MD, IBCLC