Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 10:26:09 EST

Carrie writes:

I had no  idea he would refuse the breast.  I knew there would be some pain
involved, but I believed his love of nursing would override any pain that he
would experience.

Since the little guy indicated he wanted to nurse but then didn't what  might
be happening is the release of this formerly bound muscle now means he has
range of motion but perhaps very little power and temporarily poor
coordination.  He just wasn't able to develop the muscle as it might have been due to the
restriction. I agree that suck exercises might help, but these can be active
and  fun with a 21 month old, sticking your tongues out at each other, rolling
it (  if you can!), sliding it from right to left, clucking noises, tapping
each  other's tongues, same kinds of things with an infant but it can be to
music,  with funny faces, and both of you. This is all assuming he's had a few
days to  just heal first, usually 3-4 is recommended...

Good luck, Carrie. Maybe he will get a little stronger and latch again
half-asleep when he forgets he couldn't last time he tried...:)

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA