From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:38:40 EDT
Recently posted, and  I mistakenly deleted by whom...:)

<< I have had a call from a mom with a 3 1/2 month old daughter who is
 BF "beautifully". Her concern is regarding the NEW onset of a  small, red,
 non-raised rash which appears around the baby's eyes and partially her
 forehead.  It ONLY appears when she BF and lasts 10-20 minutes after each
 feed. Babe's eyes do not swell or tear. Mom reports babe is happy and
 smiling.  Mom has not changed anything in either he diet or her
 environment.
 Mom reports her 3 y.o. son had a similar response to "new" foods when he
 was 12-18 mos old. Her physician told her he would get used to the new food
 and stop reacting...........and he did.
 Have any of you ever seen this?  I am stumped! >>

I haven't seen the red "rash" while breastfeeding, but will share the
following anecdote:
When I was nursing my son, things went fine. When he started drinking from a
glass, and we were visiting,  my motherinlaw gave him some cow's milk and he
immediately got an ear infection. Pediatrician at the time noted what he called
"allergic shiners," purplish, reddish, bruised-looking skin underneath my
son's eyes, and said they can be an indication of a food intolerance. My son's
reactions started at 11 months, when the cow's milk was given ( this was about
18 years ago). I was a vegetarian but still eating some cheese and drinking
some milk. His sensitivity may have been triggered by formula given by the nurses
behind my back his first day. He never had any problems with the little dairy
I ate,  and then I gave it up too, but couldn't handle it "straight" himself,
and had ear infections a few times when he unknowingly ate it ( cupcakes at
parties, bread made with nonfat dry milk etc.). Now he's almost 18, and doesn't
eat dairy much because although he doesn't get an ear infection outright, he
can still get fluid in his ears, and he notices it seems to make his acne
worse... Sometimes I still see the hints of those shiners there...
Food for thought?
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn, NY, USA