From:
Chris Betzold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:36:47 EST
Hi,

This mom should speak to an infectious disease person.  But here are my 2
cents worth.  It is my understanding that HSV1 is less likely to reactivate when
it infects unusual areas.  I am sure there is no research that specifically
measures whether or not taking prophylaxis while breastfeeding eliminates viral
shedding.  Even when studies are done to check for shedding with herpes in
genital areas while there is less likely a chance to shed it during prophylactic
treatment but then again it can still occur.  Transmission is skin to skin or
mucous membrane to membrane.  I don't think it can directly occur through the
milk  (but this is something to check out).

Some considerations.

If she decides to provide her milk, I would definately recommend that she
take prophylaxis.
Would a nipple shield be enough to fully protect her infant?  Should she feed
EBM until the infant's immune system is mature enough to handle the
infection.  Should the infant be treated with prophylaxis?  If you do a literature
search can you find any cases written up of an infant contracting HSV 1 in this
scenario?  Did she get infection of both nipples or just one?  If its just one
can she Breastfeed on that side and do EBM on the other?

Christine Betzold NP CLC MSN

www.theBFclinic.com