From:
Beth McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 17:53:34 -0600
In regards to the autism and casein content in breastmilk.  A few children
with autism are diagnosed during the first year of life, but most are not
until the preschool years when language and social skills become more
prominent.

I am glad my son was breastfed due to the benefits of the breastmilk on
brain development.  He has a IQ WNL which is not always the case with
autism.  Many of these children have low IQ as well as the developmental
problems.  With my son, his ability to learn has greatly helped his ability
to remember social 'scripts' and routines.  Not necessarily normal, but it
helps him interact with people in a more normal fashion. Also, the physical
contact with breastfeeding greatly helped him deal with the sensory
overload he often feels.  At age 8, he still enjoys cuddling at bedtime
while we read, one of the few times/day that he lets anyone get too close.

 I think over time, as a correlation between casein and autism becomes
better documented, it will be important to counsel families about dietary
intake of casein but I just don't feel it would be a good enough reason to
wean a child for that reason alone.  The physical contact is just too
important.

At this time, autism is not diagnosed with a blood test as PKU.  Wouldn't
it be wonderful if it could be so language, sensory integration and motor
development, etc could be supported right from the start...

Beth McHugh  [log in to unmask]
Teton Lactation Consultants
Idaho Falls, ID