From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 11:07:19 +1000
On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 Karleen Gribble wrote:

This is a great brochure! Except that it creates the misleadig impression
that women can only relactate if their babies are less than 6 months of age.
I've emailed people about this problem before and "someone" said that they
were going to fix it but it hasn't happened. Anyone here in the position to
do something?? There's enough misinformation out there about relactation, we
really don't need any more!

Hi All

Karleen made a good point.  Both she and I have published work on relactation where the children were much older than 6 months.  Indeed, some of these children were the initiators of breastfeeding, even (in my case series) when the mother was unwilling.  My paper was under a previous surname and involved Caucasian Australian mothers and children.  See
Gribble K. Post-institutionalized adopted children who seek breastfeeding from their new mothers. Journal of Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology and Health 2005;19: 217-235.

Phillips V [Thorley V]: Relactation in mothers of children over 12 months. J Trop Pediatr 1993;39:45-48

Virginia

Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.