From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:17:32 -0800
>> I'd like to see IBLCE require lactation education from more than one
source or at least as many hours as needed for recert (why 45 for initial
cert and 50 plus for recert? why no e-cerps for initial cert?)  I'd also
like to see a requirement of clinical experience with breastfeeding at
multiple stages in life (some outpatient or support group time).<<

Amen to your post, Susan! I just visited a hospital yesterday where a nurse
who took a good course last fall told me that she plans to sit for the exam
this year. Her only concern was the need to study a little more. The course
instructors always emphasize the need for clinical experience first, but
that is not deterring this person or many others I've talked to.  I asked
her if she was interested in some mentoring, and she told me no, she felt
*completely comfortable* with her experience because she's been an L&D nurse
for 23 years at her institution. Never mind that they have an extremely
abysmal breastfeeding rate and that I routinely have to work to salvage moms
coming out of there. Nevermind that she didn't know about the very
breastfeeding coalition that sponsored the course she took, or that when
asked if she would be willing to represent her hospital at the coalition,
she hesitated. Not much interest in doing more than what she'd always done.

I want to beg and plead with IBCLC to put some real teeth into the
requirements. Supervisors sign off on these candidates all the time- it's a
big game everyone plays so that hospitals can claim to have qualified
people. What is it going to take? I don't her to represent what being an
IBCLC is all about.

~Lisa Marasco