From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 19:23:02 EDT
In a message dated 8/6/0 1:59:48 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

Jo-Anne wrote,
<< Yes, it's a staggering number of hours. You can, of course, fast track
with educational programmes and internships and volunteer at BF clinics
or hospitals or through community health programs or do a support group
under the supervision of a board-certified LC, so there are some
options. On the other hand, if you become an accredited LLLL, not only
are you building them up while putting your family first, but you are
doing a lot of the educational work too.  >>

Maybe someone can tell me exactly which educational programs can be used to
add to the contact hour requirement? Or can someone tell me if a friend of
mine (who is not on line to get this info for herself) can get a waiver for
some of her hours? She was a LLL Leader for 3 years, but as a single mother
could not continue. She was a breastfeeding peer counselor for 4 years, under
my supervision. B/c she has no college education, she is short the 8000
hours, but (no one take this personally, please!), she has more experience
and knowledge than many RN's I have seen take the exam, who simply use their
hours on the floor to qualify for the exam.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA