From:
Ann Marie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:44:45 -0600
Hello all,

This is an update to the situation I posted about regarding the baby who was
fussing excessively while trying to latch.

While the baby did not seem in pain to mom nor to I when I observed a
feeding, baby became more and more fussy unrelated to feeding according to
mom and her mother who is an former experienced breastfeeder.

Mom decided to consult a physician, which I highly encouraged because of her
instinct that something was wrong with the baby..  The physician she
consulted was a pediatrician I highly respect. (So I do feel good about what
the doctor recommended.)

The physician diagnosed reflux and prescribed meds.  Mom says it has helped
immensely and she is now able to enjoy nursing her baby!  We didn't have to
use the nipple shields that finally came in the mail and the baby is back
the breast.  I am so happy for them and will stick this possibility in the
back of my mind if I ever come upon a similar situation again as a
possibility to have checked out.

As a side not, this physician doesn't practice in our local area anymore
because of clinic politics and it saddens me as it is one of the few doctors
I would feel comfortable referring moms to.  She truly feels the
breastfeeding relationship is important (the relationship as well as the
milk!).  I used to have her as my children's doctor until she moved her
practice.

Thank you all for helping me help this mom.  :)

Ann Marie Mackin, BA, LLLL, IBCLC, RLC, AND WIC Peer Counselor (lol)