Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:47:59 +1000
What makes this problem possible is the way that the AAP must have talked
about infant formula in this book. (Haven't seen the book; have ordered it
from Amazon.) No company in their right mind would distribute a book which
genuinely contrasts breastfeeding, seeing it as the only norm, the only food
fit for babies if you want them to grow up, or grow up normal, with the
synthetic products created by industry from everything including GM
organisms including soil fungi and marine algae. I am sure that it will be
like the ACOG guide for parents: no problems equating formula and
breastmilk, and no guilt trips for mothers allowed. How many other
breastfeeding books are equally industry-acceptable and no use to parents
who need the real truth in plain language to influence their decisions?

I hope to see devastating reviews of what has to be a lousy book in this
essential area (or Ross would not be willing to circulate it). Let's get
back to the real problem: AAP's been in bed with the American formula
industry since it began, and has had very little credibility with anyone who
knows the extent of their connections. The wonderful work Larry Gartner and
others have managed to get done against the odds is a shining exception, but
the fact is that the language about breastfeeding is never as strong as it
should be in AAP stuff for general distribution. This is either ignorance or
moral cowardice (because unwilling to disturb the US status quo by telling
the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but: no reassurances that it doesn't
matter that much if you are forced to bottle feed (in  a society with so
many brain-disturbed and allergic children, yet!). I am certain that if you
try some linguistic analysis on the key areas you'll see why Ross wants to
back it. I'll apologise publicly if the writing does not justify this
criticism.
Maureen Minchin IBCLC
Author Breastfeeding matters: what we need to know about infant feeding.