From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:32:27 +0000
Ros Escott wrote:
<<<
Also heard an interview on the radio yesterday with our local SIDS
researcher, the one who helped get breastfeeding off the list of
Australian recommendations to reduce the risk of SIDS.  He was knocking the
study (typical - because he didn't find it first).  He mentioned that
caffeine is sometimes given to babies to stimulate breathing, but said it
is controversial because it can increase reflux (interesting!) and hence
the possibility of choking.>>>

A few weeks ago I worked with a mother whose baby had serieus problems: he
didn't gained enough, sucking problems. (suck, pull off, scream, suck pull
off scream, etc). A pediatrician suspected reflux. An ultrasound confirmed
this.

the mother went on a dairy free diet, without much effect, and a week later
she also cut out coffee (what she drunk a lot!!!). The baby immediately
went much better!!! He started to nurse longer, he sleeps longer, cries
less, etc. He start to gain more.  Although it is very possible the dairy
played a role too, I think the coffee was an important factor.

regards,
--
Annelies Bon               http://www.flnet.nl/~0bon01/bfbronnen.html
bf counsellor in training of the Dutch bf org "Borstvoeding Natuurlijk"