Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:32:07 -0600
At 02:52 PM 2/15/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I wondered what if anything was being recommended for breastfeeding mothers
>to use when they have a cold and a lot of sinus congestion. I have had 2
>mothers call me this week wanting to know what they could take that was
>compatible with breastfeeding. I understand that Sudafed is being looked at
>for possibly reducing milk supply even though it is listed as AAP approved
>in Dr. Hale's most recent Medications and Mother's milk book. Thanks in
>advance for any suggestions.

I have seen dramatically reduced milk supplies with any of the "drying up"
products for congestion. I suggest homeopathic remedies if a mother is so
inclined. They have NO side effects (really) and they do work well.

If Mom is not interested in using homeopathics then I suggest chicken soup,
spicy hot foods including cayenne or other hot peppers, and nasal
irrigation with a Neti Pot. Salt water (standard saline solution) is poured
into the nostrils with the Neti Pot which works well for nasal congestion
and sinus congestion.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]