From:
Carolyn Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 08:28:04 -0500
-- [ From: Carolyn Brown * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Hello,

In February there was some discussion of mothers whose milk became rancid
after brief storage.  In the archives, I only come up with a couple of posts
about it.  The gist was (to my understanding) that the lipase in some
mother's milk starts digesting the milk soon after it is expressed, and the
milk therefore becomes rancid quickly.  Is my understanding correct?

The solution presented for this problem was to "scald" the milk.  Could
somebody define what scalding means in this instance?  My favorite culinary
reference, _The Joy of Cooking_ defines scalding as approximately 180
degrees Fahrenheit for cow's milk, but 130 degrees F for water.  What would
"scalding" mean for human milk?  The mother on whose behalf I ask lives in a
country measuring temps in Celsius, it would probably be useful to the most
people if temperatures could be given in both systems.

Thanks so much.

all the best,

Carolyn Brown, LLLL, Cedar Falls, Iowa USA  (northeastern Iowa)
mailto:[log in to unmask]