From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:36:26 +0300
There is a big problem of unethical research.  Time and time again we see
what we assume is a respectable research study endorsed by universities or
hospital laboratories, only to find that the study was funded by drug
companies/formula companies and other commercial institutions.
As I have mentioned before on this forum,  Nestles have taken over the local
Israeli formula manufacturer Materna and is doing very aggressive marketing.
While the Ministry of Health issue guidelines for starting solid food at 4
months and not at 6 months according to WHO guidelines, we find that some of
the committee of doctors who issued these new directives are also on the
panel of "experts" employed by Materna to give advice to parents on infant
nutrition.
I cannot fathom why these studies are published in academic journals or why
these doctors are allowed to practise on this basis
It`s not just infant feeding that is an issue here.  One of my sons and his
wife who is a brilliant physician were concerned about the tendency to
obesity of their teenage sons and helped them to formulate a healthy
low-calorie diet.
However on their recent visit to us I was told to buy diet drinks and I am
very against the use of aspartame..  We had a lot of discussion and have
since exchanged by e-mail research articles that have been written and
published in medical journals.
Some of those studies claiming that there is no danger in aspartame were
funded by Nutrasweet!!!
What can I say?

Wendy Blumfield
NCT Trained Tutor Prenatal Teacher/BFC