From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:10:23 -0500
I think the original poster was asking for research, so this won't be much
help. But it was interesting to read about Rachel's experiences in Norway,
over several years, with changing and evolving visitation scenarios.

In our hospital, visitation is a nightmare, according to virtually all of
the nurses. We are told that administration is very keen on open
visitation, I assume due to patient demand for that. Anyone can visit
anytime. It is very very typical to have 10 (and it seems and could be 20,
to me) visitors of all ages, family, friends come into the delivery room
within minutes of the birth, as soon as mother is unexposed. The parents
seem to feel this is an important thing, and after a very brief hold of the
baby by the parents, the visitors begin to pass the bundled baby around and
make lots of pictures. This might take an hour. If the mother intends to
breastfeed, of course she has the opportunity and encouragement to do so
straight away, however many mothers elect to defer this and have the open
visitation time first.
I do not like this option but the parents seem to want it.
After this, when mother is moved to postpartum room, visitors can come at
any time and in any number (the rooms are private so this does not affect a
roommate, for example. Visitors can and do come from out of town at 2am.
This is entirely outrageous to me, but there it is. Parents make excuses
for these visitors, "well they came from out of town."
Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC
Mississippi USA