From:
Joseph Rigley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 22:18:44 -0400
Hi kiddos,
Went to the hospital today for a staff meeting...same'ol, same'ol. But
when I left my pen on the front desk, it was still there when I came
back. I had a bit of lunch but you weren't there to steal a piece of it.
Miss you, guy! That's the heck of it! Miss all the banter that goes on
at "sew up" at a CSection, at the scrub sink (you know, the "what  are
your kids doing now?).
Remembered a time when Patty took baby John to SF to see his aunties and
you took all the gals at the Clinica to the buffett at the Planter's. I
remember when John and Joe had their first Thanksgiving at
Frederickson's and John could put a toy telephone to his ear - thought
Patty would explode with excitement! Weren't we a funny bunch? -everyone
thought those people at the Clinica were a bunch of "hippies"! We were
friends who supported each other in a new time of our lives. As time
went on we drifted to others friends and made different support groups,
but one never forgets those first days. And I shall always be grateful
to the brave MD who delivered me , a 38 yo primipara, before his OB
residency. You had been up all night with Nellie Rodriquez, a breech,
and then you stayed with Joe and I all that day. The first call that I
got after the delivery was from Patty. 27 years this July.....
Guess I'm musing because yesterday was my 65th birthday....I spent it
playing with a dollhouse that I started to build a few years ago. I went
over the years in my head and heart and thought about what remained
indelible in my memories...it was all the good times, the happy times,
the warm embraces, the understanding touch and the not so good days that
were made easier to tolerate because of a friend's understanding,
patience, goodness. The times you gave me $20 to give to a Clinica
patient so she could by a humidifier ("but don't tell her where it came
from"); you running that motorcycle down K street and then jumping on it
when it started; Patty, pregnant with John, washing that car, again;
you, leaving the ticket to the Claddagh Club to the Irishman you knew.!
Our kids in soccer, swim team, birthdays, and all too soon......grown
up, on to their own life building.
I feel so blessed to be writing this to you, to tell you what an
impression you have both made on our lives and how we love you both. I
wish I could close with a good joke, but haven't got one today....I'll
send the next one that comes to me. Though I do remember Mae Arterberry
giving everyone what-for at that birthday party at Karash's, the pot
party as I recall. Joe, Patty, John (in bassinet) and I went home early,
but not before she let loose. She sure was a great mother to her
boys!....but I have to giggle everytime I think of it..........God
bless, love and kisses,
                                        Maureen and her guy