From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:47:57 -0600
I would do some test weights and see how much milk baby is removing at
each feeding. Maybe even just watching the baby and seeing if he chokes
or gulps and finishes nursing quickly without comfort sucking. Something
points me to an overabundant milk supply and too much foremilk. The
other reason for bloody stools is allergies. I have seen bloody stools
cured by one sided nursing, maybe switching to the other side only every
4-6 hours. I used to give my third one an infant probiotics. It was a
name brand, and came in a powder, and was for children to 5 years. I
used to mix it with water and spoon it in his mouth as he didn't get
bottles or solids yet. Then nurse him. I gave it to him for runny stools
and yeast diaper rash after rounds and rounds of antibiotics. (It
worked.) Might be worth a try for this baby.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC