From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:43:08 -0400
At the risk of again being accused of writing unprofessionally, I will say
that IMO the DVD 'New Breast is Best' from Norway shows some unforgivable
examples of poor positioning and attachment. A sequence of a baby shown
grasping at the nipple with its lips and sucking the breast a bit deeper
into its mouth appears multiple times in the DVD, and it also shows a mother
holding a baby a couple of inches too high up in relation to her own body,
necessitating the use of both hands by an otherwise unseen 'helper', to get
the baby's mouth around the nipple.  The 'helper' has one hand on the baby's
neck and the other on the breast, and steers them together, achieving a
connection at last.

Unfortunately these clips are used to show how to get a baby on the breast,
not as examples of how *not* to do it, and this was at the core of my
criticism of the DVD, as set out in my review of it for the Norwegian
midwives' professional journal. The editor felt my review was so strongly
negative that the makers of the DVD should be offered space to comment on my
criticism, which was declined, because they 'found the review to be
unprofessional on several points'.  Apparently, calling a review
unprofessional does not count as commenting on it.

Since I am so negative to this DVD, for a number of reasons, I certainly do
not advocate buying it just to use it for the purpose of showing bad
technique.  But if you have already gotten yourself a copy, my not at all
humble opinion is that the sequences on positioning and attachment mentioned
above are suitable only for showing what to avoid.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway, where poor positioning and attachment continue to be
responsible for 95% of sore nipples in the first week of life