From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2006 02:55:08 -0500
Collette, the way your job works sounds really great and I am glad you
wrote in. I think this is the intention as spelled out in the press
release. The reason many IBCLCs see this as detrimental is that your
work situation is very rare. Most BF helpers seem to have little
credentials, nor work under an IBCLC. While this press release says the
intent is to have the lesser credential working under an IBCLC, I do not
see that happening in the real world. Already there are so many people
who have taken some kind of course and gotten a BF Educator credential
and this is the only person in the hospital doing lactation work. Thank
goodness for even that low level of knowledge to help  mothers. I know
others who are nurses with an interest. But the real problem is that the
IBCLC profession is not taken seriously or seen as of value in many many
places in the USA. And many people can sit for the exam with having been
largely self taught. I was, and I was an LLL Leader to start which gave
me some guidance and ethics. I have my doubts about this credential and
hope I am proven wrong. I would also like to see a higher credential so
that some of us who have learned more, improved skills, and know our
stuff could be honored and acknowledged. Right now, my credential means
the same as the lady who passed the exam without knowing our prof.
standards, code of ethics, how to do a test weight, how to really latch
on a difficult baby and assess oral motor difficulties. My credential
means that same as the IBCLC who told one of my hospitalized WIC clients
to only pump while it is daylight and rest all night -- our WIC says
pump every 3 hours day and night because your hormones are highest 1 AM
to 5 AM. We see milk supply dropping when they don't even pump once
during their sleep. I am not sure what the future of the IBCLC
profession will be. I am on the fence about continuing after my next
certification time.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC