From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:05:13 -0500
It is the quality of fat in the diet that impacts plugs and is either pro-inflammatory or pro-health. Saturated fat is good for us, but source matters. Eating coconut and avocado is very good for us. If you are going to use animal sources of saturated fat, then the eggs must be truly free-range and non-corn-fed and the meat must be truly grass-fed ("organic" does not assure that). Very few people will make these choices, so I put more emphasis on adding the coconut and avocado and elimination of all trans fats.

Also, if you are going to suggest epsom salts soaks, it is essential that you rinse the breasts before nursing. Epsom salts eliminate toxins from the body--through the skin--those toxins must be washed off. I actually prefer mom do an all-body soak and then shower off, since I do not see inflammation of this sort as isolated to the breasts. I also always use castor oil compresses several times per day.

For recurrent plugs (I agree they are not likely to be new plugs, but the same one), I use nutrition, castor oil, coconut oil on the nipples and breasts, homeopathy and sometimes homeopathic cell salts.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, Toulouse, FR
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC