From:
"Love-Zaranka, Angela M Ms CTR DOD CAPMED FBCH" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Nov 2013 14:55:41 +0000
Hello all -

As someone who works in a community military hospital, in a large metropolitan area, 3/4 of the way through the BFUSA BFHI designation, with a high staff turnover, I can say that I am GRATEFUL for the on-line training our hospital has received.  This course does not allow learners to simply click through.  The 15 hours of training takes 15 hours and has mini quizzes throughout.  I know I can't mention the specific course but it is well written for adult learners, comprehensive, has lots of relevant staff and patient handouts which summarizes the information presented and is very interactive.  When we started this process, I did the calculations and it was more cost effective to do the on-line training than to pay me to create the training and paying staff to sit in on the training as well as pay staff to cover patient care.  20 hours of training with 1 FTE is simply not possible.  My colleague and I work one on one with the nurses for the clinical hours.  They have the background.  I can finesse what they learned through the didactic training with the hands-on work.

I do targeted in-services for MBU, L&D and our special care nursery nurses as well as women's health, pediatrics and for our residents.  15 minute, one hour or day long training.  I can attend their monthly meetings for training and address specific needs.

Every hospital (like every breastfeeding dyad) is unique.  Just my .02

Angela Love-Zaranka, BA, IBCLC, RLC
Alexandria, Virginia, USA