From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:26:14 -0700
In my experience, I've had moms react poorly to Reglan (depression) and
others who have done magnificently (over a year of use due to the fact that
they were not breastfeeding, but exclusively pumping for very sick babies).

Those who used Reglan long-term effectively, even stopped and started it as
they needed to - when milk supply went down, they'd use Reglan for a week
or so, get the milk supply up, then stop it (no weaning, just stopped) and
kept up their milk supply for a while, then it would go down again, they'd
take Reglan again and so on.  These moms worked, had very sick babies and
lots of stress - but depression did not occur.

I wonder if there is a safe "trial period" to find out if a mom is
sensitive to Reglan.  The cases that I had that stopped it due to
depression, the symptom occurred quite quickly after starting the Reglan.

However, one mom I saw for SORE nipples was taking Reglan for
gastrointestinal problems - and was surprised when I asked about depression
- she had been feeling depressed but no one had suggested that the Reglan
could be the culprit - when she stopped it she was fine (not the sore
nipples, the depression - the sore nipples were fixed with positioning, not
pills).

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
NEW e-mail address: [log in to unmask]