From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:21:38 EST
Jessica,
I also teach childbirth classes, Lamaze, and I have started to show the film
"Delivery Self attachment" at my first class. If you are not familiar with
the film, it shows with an unmedicated birth,  how within 50 minutes of birth
a baby will crawl up & latch on itself. If the mom has had drugs in labor the
baby hasn't a clue what to do. The expectant parents can actually SEE what
the effects the drugs have on the baby. I feel it is very powerful. It is a
10 minute film, very inexpensive, and so worth it.
Roni Chastain, RN, LCCE, FACCE
 Long Island, New York

<<
This particular hospital has a 95%+ epidural rate.  Several of the prenatal
instructors have taken to advising women to start out w/ a dose (or half a
does) of IV narcotic (Stadol or Nubain) in an effort to get them to delay the
epidural as long possible to avoid the first and second stage dystocia early
epidurals can lead to. >>