From:
Reginald X Rapoza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 08:09:58 -0600
Hi fellow Lactnetter,

I have a strange story I could use wome feedback on.  A mother of two,
expecting her third child soon, contacted me with the following strange
story.  After the birth of her first child, she developed a "severe
allergic reaction" 3 days after coming home from the hospital.  She was
treated for 6 weeks for itchines, swelling, and skin redness while
continuing to breastfeed.  1 week after her symptoms subsides, she egan
deveoping joint pain which became progressively worse.  She finally saw
a rheumatologist who sugested she take an "arthritic medication" and
wean because it wasn't compatible with breastfeeding.  Within 3 days of
weaning, her symptoms completely disappeared.

After her second child was born, she did not develop any allergic
reaction.  However, at about 3 months post partum, the joint pain began
again, and was progressively worsening to the point where she couldn't
even pick up the baby or care for her 23 month old toddler.  She
stopped breastfeeding (she wasn't clear if she took medication again
this time) and again, within 3 days, the pain disappeared.

She is naturally worried about her third baby, wants to breastfeed, but
is afraid.  My guess is that breastfeeding has nothing to do with the
whole situation, but it is probably a phenomenon related to the birth
and recovery itself.   I think the pain may have subsided spontaneously
whether she had weaned or not, but I am not sure.  I have no factual
data to support my theory, and would appreciate any feedback and input
on this strange situation.  Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
Sharon A. Rapoza, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Works Lactation Consultant Service
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8728