Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:28:05 -0500
Here's the flip side - positives for the last 2 weeks:

I'm IBCLC - and with that change I've gotten to explain what an LC does.

I'm the first Doc in the hospital and (possbly the entire PSG health system
)to be IBCLC - your turn next, Dr. Rob!

A resident in our program is "due" soon and attended a prenatal
breastfeeding class

Another resident in our program is adopting and considering breastfeeding
the baby when she arrives

Several residents in our program have made a strong effort to examine
babies in the mom's room in the morning when on nursery duty...

The breastfeeding poster that I posted in the residents lounge has drawn
conversation - it's enabled some of the residents to talk about their
discomfort with breasts - which limits their ability to help a
breastfeeding mom and baby...

I manned the phones this week at an outpatient site and got to speak to a
number of moms who are breastfeeding past the "few weeks" so common in our
area - I complimented each of them - some were hesitant to even admit they
were "still" breastfeeding.  You could hear them perk-up over the phone
with the few words of praise....

...can't wait to see what this week brings!

Gail

Gail Hertz, MD, IBCLC
Pediatric Resident
author of the little green breastfeeding book - disclaimer: owner of Pocket
Publications