From:
Tami Karnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:01:44 -0700
Just wanted to take a minute and thank Chris for the assessment of these
supplements.  Excellent breakdown of side effects.
Just a couple of things, with the Kelp; it can be an excellent supplement in
women with low functioning thyroid, but should not be taken by anyone with
an over active thyroid.
Ma Huang and Ephedra are excellent herbs for bronchial congestion and the
like, but please do be careful of companies who use it improperly for it's
ephedrine base.  Any company that makes a "supplement" like Extasy, I would
steer clear of.
If this Mom needs assistance finding other alternatives, she is welcome to
contact me direct.

>Regarding:
>"Thermo Chrome 5000 with chromium picolinate and L-Carnitine. It contains
>sida cortifolia concentrate (with 12mg natural occuring ephedrines), white
>willow,ginseng, ginkgo Biloba, ginger, kelp, gotu kola, beet powder, saw
>palmetto, hawthorne berry, l-carnitine, boron proteinate, chromium
>picolinate. Thermo Chrome is touted to help with energy levels, wt loss,
>arthritis, even lupus, etc."
>
>Naturally occurring ephedrines (including Ma Huang or ephedra) are banned
>in two states in the US because of recent deaths stemming from the abuse of
>Extasy (natural "high" pill).
>Ginseng is not considered a "safe" substance for long-term use in lactating
>women because of it's steriodal properties.
>Kelp, depending on its source, can be contaminated (but so can anything
>else); moreover though, in high doses it can trigger hyperthyroidism if it
>has high iodine levels.
>>
>"The next one is called OPC-3 (oligo proanthocyanidins) and contains grape
>seed, red wine, pine bark, and bilberry extract with bioflavonoids(citrus
>extracts).It is supposed to help overall nutritionally- some are using it
>for attention deficit disorders and going off of ritalin!"
>
>Oligo proanthoCYANIDins can be toxic in large doses, but I doubt the
>potency is that high in this preparation.  Pine bark in it's processed and
>reduced form has lots of oils/solvents in it (some terpintine is dervived
>from pine trees).
>
>I don't see anything potentially dangerous in the next one.  My only
>concern in any supplement is whether it throws off the balance of the body
>or restores it.  And, of course, why is it that someone feels they need
>this (many people do need them, but a careful assessment should be made).
>>Finally, an isotonic B-12 formula containing 120 mcg Cobalamin(B-12), 400
>mcg Folic acid, 40 mg magnesium carbonate, and 99 mg potassium carbonate.
>B-12 is supposed to boost energy levels and help with depression.
>
>Chris
Wishing you health and wellness!

Tami Karnes,
Certified Herbalist                     One With Nature
Reiki Practitioner                      P.O. Box 1724
Sedona, AZ                              Sedona, AZ  86339-1724
[log in to unmask]                       (800) 230-5166
Herbal Therapies, Hand Made & Top Quality  visit my website at
   http://home.earthlink.net/~onewthnature/