From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 06:59:38 +1000
Unfortunately this isn't rare. I dropped two surgeons from my list for
referral after they told parents that "there is no such thing as a posterior
tongue-tie".  This was after they had told the parents, on booking, that
they "knew ALL about posterios TT". Mercifully, there are other medical and
dental people I can refer babies to.
To add a prespective:  remember, too, that no one can be highly proficient
across every area in a specialty. The same applies to our own IBCLC
profession, where we often have someone who is the one to go to with
situation A, someone else is a whizz kid with situation B, and someone else
has a special interest in C. All of them may be good, but people are best at
their special areas of work or interest.

Virginia
in Brisbane, QLD, Australia
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Christine Lichte wrote;
Hi.  I referred a mom to an oral surgeon to get a second opinion about
posterior tongue-tie.  She was not able to see the doctor I referred her to,
but saw another doctor in the same practice.  I would have had no problem if
the doctor told her that her baby does not have a PTT, but he told her that
there is no such thing as PTT.  Why would an oral surgeon say that?  Again,
saying a baby does not have PTT or that the PTT does not cause feeding
problems is understandable, but to say there is no such thing?  Why is it
easy for me to believe in PTT, but not an oral surgeon with extensive
education about oral anatomy? Just wondering!

Christine Lichte, IBCLC