From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:54:45 -0500
Hi All,
    When I read the kidney function post, that took me back to my
pregnancies. It started at 39 weeks with #1 after my blood pressure shot
up (over 140/close to 100, which is very high for me). I was immediately
hospitalized for a stress test and monitoring. I went into labor and 4
1/2 hours later, delivered a healthy full term boy, without any testing.
I was not concerned as all the other symptoms of pre-eclampsia, did not
exist at all. No one ever even asked me about personal stresses or
problems. I had just attempted to leave my husband.
    During #2 my, bp only went up during the holidays - DUH - and she
came at 36 weeks. Her pregnancy was listed as a twin one since I was
gaining excessive weight. This was the dark ages of OB work where,
touch, sthescope and a few tests were used - not ultra sound. I
delivered at some 5 to 10 pounds over what I had been at delivery with
my first. A low bp and no protein in the urine.
    #3 was the one where everything went down hill quickly. By Dec. (due
date of June 6th) my weight was sky high, my blood pressure was up and I
was having protein in my urine. I was put into the hospital just after
New Year's for them to monitor things (never up to much degree but not
down, at all).
    I was under constant monitoring each and every  visit. By April 30th
when I went into labor - they were not pleased at all. Stopped labor, in
the hospital almost constant monitoring of me and the baby. After 3
weeks of both injections and by mouth Ritadrine, I was off bed rest and
I was finally allowed to stop the drugs as I was entering the 36th/37th
week. I immediately went back into labor but held off to go back into
the hospital four days because it was not progressing at all and I did
not want to spend another 3 weeks in bed. When I went in, they were
going to let me go as I was only in first stage labor, but the urine
came in as +3 protein. This is when they began talking about kidney
failure, etc. for me, as I have a previous heart and kidney failures and
severe problems (as an infant). My weight was up high, bp up and so on.
    The L & D MD wanted to induce immediately but was overruled by the
Head Officer of OB/GYN, so once again I was admitted. Within hours my
protein was up to +4 and everyone was panicking. An ultrasound was done,
I did not hear the results, or I would have been able to tell them that
I was full term. Instead my L & D MD lobbied every day for induction,
finally given approval to, if I was sure of my dates. After a very
harried day of labor at 5:27PM, I delivered not a premie (still a listed
due date of June 6th, this was May 16th) but a post-term baby who was
fine and healthy. I had then discovered that since the first ultra sound
on May 30th, baby had been determined to be 6 to 7 pounds, which is full
term for me.
    After this baby, I went to a Nephrologist who performed every test
he could think of at the time. He stated that the only thing left was a
biopsy, but with us leaving for Germany, there was no time. I was still
at 1+ protein level. He determined that I just had a chronic low level
kidney disorder such as Nil's Disease that was aggravated by the
pregnancy.
    I continued to have my kidney function tested  until it was back to
normal - about 9 to 10 months after delivery. When I became pregnant
with #4, it started immediately with all the testing due to the past OB
history. This time I had a choice as the nearest Army OB clinic for us
was 1 hour away. I knew that this was not acceptable for checkups, and
definitely not acceptable for delivery, so I opted out for the local
German Klinickum (hospital). Was it so immensely different, by the time
my protein level started elevating, to +1, when he stated that I should
see an Internal Medicine Doctor - AFTER - delivery, and I told him that
I had already been to a Nephrologist, he said, Oh, that's fine, we won't
worry then. I never went past the +1 which only lasted 2 months and on
her due date, after an 1 hour and 48 minutes of labor my daughter was
born - once again another 7 pound baby.
    I feel that the pressure, stress and strain of constant monitoring
and testing, added to my personal problems had eventually caused the
problem, that the OBs had been imagining were there. I have never had a
single kidney function problem since delivery, even though # 3 was still
nursing when I became pregnant with #4 and into the pregnancy for
several months. Those were stresses indeed, but without the pressures,
stresses and worry over the constant testing and so - it made no
difference on my body functions.
    I too must cheer for a mom who questions and even defies a MDs
'order' when there is no proof presented to back up his 'orders.'
Especially when it is her heart and soul is what is guiding her. It is
extremely difficult to do.
    My short comments are that I must apologize on this forum as my Wal
Mart too, has the new Redbook issue, just jumped the gun, but I was
wrong.
    Also I too loved the Ode to Dr. Jack. I pray almost every day for
MDs and RNs like the ones I encounter here - who may or may not entirely
endorses all we post, but they are interested and take the time to hear
all options and opinions, keeping their minds open to what is presented
here. Isn't that what we all are striving for, open minds with the
people we deal with and an open mind for ourselves?

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY
"You want the truth - you can't handle the truth" from the movie A Few
Good Men