From:
Christine Staricka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 01:58:50 -0400
I am reading Dr. Jack Newman's book, The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of
Answers, and he comments on the AAP's policies:
  "In December 1997, the AAP put out a statement which, in addition to
other positive comments about breastfeeding, encouraged mothers to
breastfeed exclusively to about the middle of the first year and to
continue, with the addition of appropriate foods, to a year and then for as
long as the mother and baby desire.  No upper limit is mentioned, which was
done deliberately.  Even the Canadian Paediatric Society has written in its
most recent infant feeding statement that mothers should breastfeed
exclusively for 4 to 6 months and then continue to 2 years and beyond..."
(p.412)

I found Dr. Newman's take on this very interesting: he is saying that their
wording was specifically chosen to help break down barriers surrounding
extended breastfeeding by not placing limits or stating a maximum time for
breastfeeding.  Every little word counts when we are trying to reach every
mother.

Christine Staricka, CLE
Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Comfort Line Project, Kern County, CA