From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:39:50 -0800
I have a problem with that particular reference from the JHL in regard
to test-weighing for mothers of preterm and high risk infants.  That
study was funded in part by a research grant from Medela, Inc(see small
print at beginning of study).  That particular JHL issue
10(3)151-222(1994) is the first time we get to see an ad for the new
"BabyWeigh Scale." While that study may be an excellent study on use of
a scale, I am somewhat cynical about it.  Particularly when we see an ad
for the first time about the scale(used in the study). It is certainly a
great marketing tool to present the research and have an ad in the very
same issue.  And no I am not against the use of scales in high risk
situations or in practices that deal with high-risk populations(such as
Barbara's). In my opinion any study that has an economic interest in the
results has a level of bias.  I appreciate that JHL did print where some
of the funding came from but still find it annoying that the JHL was
used as a vehicle to advertise some new equipment.  Valerie W. McClain,
IBCLC