Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:21:28 -0500
mom has large, firm areolas that do not protrude well & do not
>compress to fit into baby's mouth. We tried pumping, nipple comes out a
little
>but not enough to stimulate suck reflex.

Laura, perhaps hand expression would be better in this case.  It clears the
areola better than pumping does.  I'll also send you the post that Denise
just sent about hand expression in the newborn period.  I find that hand
expression is preferrable in a number of cases such as oversupply,
engorgement, and any situation in which the point is to soften the areola
and not to express a large amount of milk.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee
________________-

Denise writes:

Which gets me on to my next point - I really don't like to see electric or
hand pumps used at all until the mother is producing reasonable quantities
(ie not before lactogenesis II).  I feel it is not sufficient stimulation
and the very small quantities that are produced, which may not even make it
to the bottom of the bottle, cause the mother to lose self confidence.
Also, hand expressing is a less invasive procedure and every little drop can
be caught and given to the baby.  What do others think?

Denise
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

mailto:[log in to unmask]