From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:40:43 EST

Jaye writes:

Heck if I  thought we could tape an SNS onto his finger he could
darn near feed  himself!  :-)

Well, this isn't as bizarre as it sounds maybe... it would self-directed  and
at least not force feeding. Wonder if it would actually work...I know there
are weird devices out there like those pacifiers one can suck medicine out of,
 as well as the Tylenol smushy little cups for cup feeds. Sounds like a
complicated issue but I think one thing is worth remembering: healthy people
don't refuse to eat for no good reason.
Something underlying this, either  behavioral, physiological, psychological,
has got to be there... It's not  unusual that the baby would not be ready for
solids, or would push things out,  but it is concerning that he won't nurse as
much as "needed". I wonder if he  would suck on little ice cubes/pieces made
of mom's frozen milk...messy, but  maybe worth trying?
    I did work with one baby whose suck was so lousy (  baby was already 3
months old and
"no issues" til then when mom was going  back to work soon and baby refused a
bottle. She called me because someone told  her I could "get any baby to take
a bottle"!) Would not eat one bit when mom was  gone, and was literally
starving himself. I think this mom/babe dyad had a  situation where baby's not very
good latch/suck was overcome by mom's big supply  and very pliable breasts,
and the bottle was just too hard and foreign and  unstable since it didn't
softly conform to his high palate. Baby ended up seeing  an OT for bodywork, and
continued to refuse a bottle. He ended up starting  solids at 3+ months ,
breastfeeding-positive ped's suggestion after trying lots  of other things and
hearing my assessment, since mom was gone 3 days a  week, and then nursed a lot
when mom was home.
Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL