From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:38:28 +1000
Hi Pamela
Coming back to this late (was away last week, came home to 600 emails!) I
agree with you these position statements and what they do and don't say are
fascinating. I find the WHO European guidelines quite interesting and
perhaps very useful because what they are saying is that breastfeeding
beyond a child's first year does impact health and link continuance to
protection from disease. This could be quite useful and other position
statements etc do not make this direct link. I think that in conjunction
with the worldwide WHO guideline this could be quite useful ie WHO
recommends that breastfeeding continue for up to 2 years or beyond because
in that second year breastfeeding can provide significant protection against
disease.....
Again, it's really really important to check the source when looking at
position statements because a small difference in wording can make a big
difference in meaning and these statements are regularly misquoted!

Karleen Gribble
Australia

 That's not to imply that all the