From:
Daniel Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 08:47:45 -0400
Hi all, I must say, I can't contribute any unusual 'reasons' or
'excuses' to wean, most of the ones I encountered are meds or 'not
enough milk' (ie - not enough nursing). I enjoyed the refusing to
consider cutting a sculptured nail and considering it an intimate
suggestion! The things that some people consider important.
On the psoriasis, yes my daughter has psoriasis, not exzema, we have
been through many medical appointments trying to get medication to bring
it under control (the Army Peds Clinics believe that Tylenol solves
everything and nothing stronger is needed) - or perhaps they think that
Moms just want to medicate their children. It goes back to my posts of
late, we can not and must try not to peg humans with absolutes. Most MDs
in the past have ignored allergies with me, because I react with
'unusual' symptoms - nausea, vomitting and alopecia (?sp) not hives,
rashes etc. But with elimination of many food items, I do very well,
thank you. Same with my children. Oh well, maybe someday in the future,
MDs will admit that people can be allergic to food items.
    On the German Tea, with my last child being born in a German
hospital - I was given a box of  'gifts' - took them to a neighbor who
was German to translate what stuff was. The German's do it right - just
a packet of formula (a real 'sample') and two packets of tea. Katrina
told me, "don't use this one, it is for sick baby." I asked her to
explain, she said that only use it when baby is sick to the stomach or
gassy. The one I know (no ad here) is Milupa Babyfix Fenchel Tee. I used
it once and was sold - it works. The box also included a 4 oz bottle
(120ml), I fixed it once when she was crying (middle of the night, fussy
and nursing wasn't helping settle her). 1 tsp in 120 ml of warm water,
she took 20 mls, passed gas and feel asleep. This stuff should be
available here, I brought a big tin of it back with me, even though I
rarely had to use it by then.
    On vacinnations, I support the premise - I understand the impact and
damage, epidemics can do. However, I did become questioning when my
measles titer came back non-existant, (which I am sure that it would be
now too) so I had another MMR vac. Then upon returning to the USA, my
daughter had to have a booster MMR, I began to wonder why these
vaccinations were 'suddenly' failing. Mothering magazine did a special
issue on the topic(#79, Summer 96) - submitted questions to a panel of
MDs, and the answers were enlightening. Jay Gordon's explaination
("let's stick 'em while we got 'em) that vaccinations are given at well
baby checks, simply because the vast majority of parents do bring their
children in at those times, shocked me. He recommended waiting until
toddler age to start them, but infant schedule is just the way it's been
done. If something is wrong or doesn't work, it seems like the HCPs
should change it, rather than just do it as it's always been done
('strapped and flat' for birth - for one). But that doesn't seem to be
the way here in America.
    FYI, HBO has a America Undercover piece on disabled people (since I
watch rarely during the day, it may be an older piece), that was very
well done. I actually cried at times and was amazed at what some
disabled people learn to do, to compensate for their losses. It should
be run on all channels, this is an example of TV being used positively.
    Just a note on animals, we recently got two kittens, on 16 July they
went in for their first shots, the rowdiest, bigger one had a mild
reaction. I was so upset, as I've never had an animal react to shots. I
thought we were going to lose him, he just kept lapsing into a deep
sleep. Of course, by then it was after hours, so I contacted the vet
clinic, they said to bring him in. He had a miraculous recovery in the
car - since his eyes were clear and bright, I turned around and called
them again, they said to keep an eye on him, but it sounded like he was
ok. I am now pondering if his next shot will be worse? Just a comment
that really has nothing to do with anything.
    Kneading is a comfort action for cats, really can occur with any
cat, as one of my 'worst' kneaders was a cat who stayed with his mom (I
was cat sitting for a friend and kept the pick of the litter for my
trouble) for his whole life (13 months, that's another story). They tend
to do it to the person they consider their 'substitute' mom (in my
house, it's me!), although some are such comfirmed kneaders will do it
to anyone. Strangely, most of my kneaders have been males.

Leslie Ward
Vine Grove, KY
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is
the only means." Albert Einstein