From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:42:34 +1000
Mary Kay Smith wrote:
> There are quite a few of us who are non RN, IBCLCs who are employed in the
> hospital setting.

Mary Kay, those are valuable points and I am delighted that you and others
with backgrounds other than RN are finding employment within the health
system.  You are certainly a role model.
   Would you mind if I add a constructive idea? - I don't mean to be in any
way picky.  The term I prefer to use - instead of "non-RN IBCLCs" - is
"IBCLCs from backgrounds other than nursing".  This puts a positive spin on
the category, rather than focusing on one aspect we don't have.
   Many IBCLCs from *backgrounds other than nursing* have backgrounds that
are rich in breastfeeding training and experience, whether as breastfeeding
counsellors, researchers, or allied health professioanl backgrounds (e.g.
OTs, PTs).  In fact, some of us regularly receive calls from RN IBCLCs or
physicians for ideas about breastfeeding situations they encounter at work.
Let's use terminology that celebrates the diversity of background in a
positive way!
      Warm regards,
          Virginia
          in sunny Brisbane